- Vision and Mission
- PEOs, POs, PSOs and Course Outcomes
- Department Advisory Committee
- Faculty Details
- Laboratory Facilities
B.E – MECHANICAL ENGINEERING
M.E – ENGINEERING DESIGN
About the Department
Mechanical Engineering Department of JCT College of Engineering started functioning from the year 2009 with a sanctioned intake of 60 students per annum and from the year 2010 with a sanctioned intake of 120 students per annum. The focus of the department is to offer quality education in the specialized fields of Design, Manufacturing, Thermal and Materials engineering. The might of the Department, apart from its Students, is its Qualified and Experienced Faculty/Staff. Faculties are actively engaged in Teaching and mentoring students apart from perusing their research activities in the emerging fields of engineering. The department has a resourceful team of faculty that mostly consists of PG holders. Faculty members regularly attend technical workshops and seminars organized by various technical institutes, and many of them have presented papers at national level seminars.
Major Industries that employ Mechanical Engineers include Automobiles, Space research, Aeronautical, Energy and utilities, Air conditioning, Bio-Mechanical industry. Other major employers include giant manufacturing plants, Air conditioning and refrigeration industry, Turbine manufacturing plants, oil and Gas exploration and refining industries and the Agricultural sector.
In the Government sector, Mechanical Engineers can provide their knowledge to various government run projects in the role of technical experts and consultants. They can get Employed in Government departments like Defense, PWD, CPWD, Technical Wings of Armed Forces, Space Research Organization. Industries like the Aeronautical, Agricultural, Automobile, Chemical, Bio-Medical equipment manufacturers, Energy, Power, Electronics, Steel, Oil Exploration and refining, Railways, etc.
Mechanical Engineering is not only limited to the manufacturing and design companies, but also it finds room in power sector, aerospace, petroleum and mining.
The following are the top companies that recruit Mechanical Engineers: MERCEDES BENZ, TATA MOTORS, VOLKSWAGEN Group, BMW, MARUTI SUZUKI, MAHINDRA for Automobile Sector. HITACHI, INGERSOLRAND, LIEBHER CRANES are Companies for Heavy Machinery. LARSEN and TUBRO, BHEL, THERMAX, ALFA LAVAL, GODREJ, KIRLOSKAR, SUZLON are the companies that provide opportunities for Mechanical Engineers in power sector.
VISION AND MISSION
To impart world class engineering knowledge to bring out ethical mechanical engineering graduates ready for industries or research or higher studies.
- To impart quality education to enhance the skill and knowledge required for industry or for higher studies.
- To have state of art laboratory facilities.
- To interact with industry and other institutions.
- To provide an environment to inculcate ethical values and life long learning.
PEOs, POs, PSOs and Course Outcomes
Programme Educational Objectives (PEO)
PEO1: Graduates shall become outstanding engineers in industries or pursue higher studies.
PEO2: Graduates shall have the caliber to contribute to national goals through design and manufacturing.
PEO3: Graduates shall serve the society by being entrepreneurs or consultants to overcome the challenges they face.
PROGRAMME OUTCOMES (PO)
Engineering Graduates will be able to:
- Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
- Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
- Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
- Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
PROGRAMME SPECIFIC OUTCOMES (PSO)
PSO1: Capable of successfully qualifying in national level competitive examinations for higher studies and employment.
PSO2:An ability to apply their knowledge in the domain of engineering mechanics, fluid, thermal engineering and advanced technologies in solving engineering problems for the benefits of society.
Department Advisory Committee (DAC)
The Department of Mechanical Engineering has constituted Department Advisory Committee and it consists of Principal, Management Representatives, Member from Core Industry, Head of the Department, Senior Academician from other Institution and Senior Faculty of the Department, renowned Alumni, and Parent.
The present members of the committee are
|S.No||Name of the Member||Designation|
|1.||Thiru.R.DurgaShankar||Secretary,JCT Group of Institutions,Coimbatore|
|2.||Dr.G.Ramesh||Principal,JCT College of Engineering and Technology,Coimbatore|
|3.||Mr.A.Chandrahasan||Administrative Officer,JCT Group of Institutions,Coimbatore|
|4.||Mr. Kalaiappan||MD, Avinash Industries,Coimbatore|
Dept of Production Engineering,
PSG College of Technology,
|6.||Dr.S.Goshteeswaran||HOD/Mechanical Engineering Department,JCTCET|
|7.||Mr.D.Joslin Vijaya(Ph.D)||Associate Professor,
Mechanical Engineering Department,
|9.||Mr. Dhayalan||F/O Mr.D.Vigneshwar|
- Our Department Conducted Two Days National Level Workshop “Multi Objective Evolutionary Optimization For Engineering Application” In The Year 2013.
- Our Department Organized One Day Seminar on “Motivation for Entrepreneurship among Students” during 27th August 2014
- Our Department Organized Guest Lecture on “Principles of Heat Treatment of Steels” during 10th February 2015
- Our Department Conducted One Day Seminar on “Advances on NDT Methods” during 27th January 2015
- Our Department Conducted One Day Seminar on “Solid Works Software Applications” during 29th January 2015.
- Our Department organized One day National level Symposium JFINAGLES’16
- Mechanical Engineering association conducted Two Days National level workshop on “Bring Out Your Inner Potential (DHURVAZ’16)”
- Our Department Organized Guest Lecture on “Fluid Mechanics and Machinery” during 29th September 2015.
- Our Department Conducted One Day Seminar on “Time Stress Management And Corporate Culture” during 25th June 2015.
- Dr.G.RAMESH,Principal of our Institution has published “OPTIMIZING THE SUPERCHARGER EFFECT ON THE PERFORMANCE AND EMISSION OF BIOGAS DIESEL ENGINE USING ANFIS” Asian Journal of Research in Social Sciences and Humanities, vol. 6, no 7, pp.1364-1380. (Updated List of Journals 2016 S. No. 1108)
- Our Department Conducted One Day Faculty Development Programme on “Engineering Thermodynamics” On 30th June 2016
- MAGESH Associate Prof/MECH has published “OPTIMIZATION OF INJECTION MOULDING PROCESS PARAMETERS FOR MININIMAL SHRINKAGE USING TAGUCHI METHOD” International Journal of Printing, Packaging & Allied Sciences, Vol. 5, No. 1, February 2017
- Mechanical Engineering association conducted Two Days National level workshop on “NATURAL’S MECHANISM IN AGRICULTURE (DHURVAZ’17)” from 16th to 17 FEB 2017.
- Mechanical Engineering Association conducted Two Days International Conference on Inventive Systems & Control ICISC 2017 from 19th & 20th January -2017
- Our Department Inauguration of IEEE Students Chapter on 19th January – 2017
- Our Department Conducted One Day Faculty Development Program on “Dynamics Of Machines” 10th June 2017.
- The One Day Faculty Development Program on “Kinematics Of Machinery” 30th November 2017.
- Our Department organizes Dhruvaz”Constant Faithful” A National Level Mech Fest to bring out the inner potential of students 2nd March 2018.
- Our Department Conducted IEEE International Conference on Control –ICISC 2018” on 19th and 20th January 2018.
- SATHISH KUMAR. P Assistant Prof/MECH has published “INVESTIGATION OF MECHANICAL, MORPHOLOGICAL STUDIES & ELECTROCHEMICAL MICRO HOLING PROCESS PARAMETERS ON AL6061-SIC-GR HYBRID METAL MATRIX COMPOSITES IN INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF HEAVY VEHICLE SYSTEMS 2018”
Value Added Courses
- Computer Aided Modeling Software – Solidworks,Pro/E
- Computer Aided Manufacturing Software – EdgeCAM
- Computer Aided Analysis Software – ANSYS
- Computer Aided Analysis Software – CFD
- Technical Seminars
- Hands-on Workshops
- Guest Lectures
- Skill Development activities
- Industrial visit & Placement Training
DESIGN AND FABRICATION OF COCONUT PEELING MACHINE
At present the husk of tender coconut are being removed manually, which employs more time and man power. This project is to fabricate the coconut peeling machine that peels off the coconut husk from the coconut fruit to obtain DEHUSKED coconut fruit .An operator is required to handle the machine during peeling process. This machine includes the rotation axis control system drive, peeling blades etc. The peeling machine is designed in such a way that it works automatically .The automation strategy in dehusking results in reduced cycle time cost. This machine is extremely beneficial for coconut traders and exporting industries.
FABRICATION OF SELF CHARGING E-BIKE
E-bike becomes more attractive and recent trends in automotives. It takes for a common E-bike to charge fully about 6-8 hrs .The range for such bikes is usually about 30-40 kms. Then it needs to be recharged again.
In this E-bike our students have made the charging system inbuilt for continuous running. The power from battery will be discharged and charged continuously. This project ensures the road safety by avoiding high speed.
This project can be commercialized by fabricating in a cost effective manner.
Academic Year 2018-2019
|S.No.||Date||Type of the Programme||Title||Name of the Resource Person||Photo|
|1.||01.08.2018||Association Inaugural||Mechanical Association||Mr. T. Kalayappan,M.D, Avinash Engineering, Coimbatore.|
Academic Year 2017-2018
Academic Year 2016-2017